Year Group Pages

Quick Links

St George's Primary School

  • Search
  • Translate
  • Facebook

Supporting Pupils with SEND

Additional support for pupils with or without an Educational Health Care Plan outside school can include:

CAMHS: Child Adolescent Mental Health Services - CAMHS are a specialist NHS service. In order to find your local CAMHS service, speak to your GP who can refer you or alternatively search online for Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services in your area.

Children and young people and their families can be referred to CAMHS if children are finding it hard to cope with family life, school or the wider world.  If these difficulties are too much for family, friends or GPs to help with, CAMHS may be able to assist.

Types of problems CAMHS can help with include violent or angry behaviour, depression, eating difficulties, low self-esteem, anxiety, obsessions or compulsions, sleep problems, self-harming and the effects of abuse or traumatic events.  CAMHS can also diagnose and treat serious mental health problems such as bipolar disorder and schizophrenia.

Community Paediatrician - Your Community Paediatrician is a specialist doctor who plays a key role in the identification of children who may have special educational needs.  This professional is able to assess your child’s needs.  As well as advising you about health matters, this doctor may discuss with you concerns about possible learning difficulties.

Physiotherapist – A Physiotherapist is trained to provide assessment and treatment in overcoming movement and physical difficulties such as problems of balance, coordination, sitting, standing and walking.  The Designated Medical Officer may ask a Physiotherapist to give advice as a contribution to the statutory assessment process.  Physiotherapists are employed by the Health and Social Services Trusts.

Social Worker – A Social Worker is trained to provide support and advice for parents and families.  Social Workers may contribute Welfare Advice to the statutory assessment.  Social Workers are employed by the Health and Social Services Trusts.

Health Visitor – A Health Visitor is a qualified nurse who has undertaken extra specialist training.  They may refer  pre-school children with special educational needs to the Community Paediatrician. Your Health Visitor may be asked by the Designated Medical Officer to provide advice as part of the statutory assessment process.

Occupational Therapist – The Occupational Therapist is trained to provide assessment, treatment and rehabilitation for children and young people who have physical, coordination and processing difficulties.  The Designated Medical Officer may ask an Occupational Therapist to give advice as a contribution to the Statutory assessment process.  Occupational Therapists are employed by the Health and Social Services Trusts.

With parental permission to share information these services support children with SEND needs.

St George's Primary School welcomes all additional information to support SEND pupils.

We liaise closely with all Health Services.

Click to access: Useful links for Family Support Services


Mental Health Support Teams: At St George's, we benefit from being part of a Mental Health Support Team. The MHST can offer advice to school staff, carers and young people.  They can deliver interventions to support pupils, working on a 1:1 basis or in small groups. The service can also provide staff training and support for parents and carers. The aim of the service is to work towards creating a mentally healthy school environment for pupils, staff and the wider school community.  If a pupil is experiencing issues with their mental health a referral form is completed with parents to gather information. This is shared with the school Mental Health Practitioner who will judge what level of support or intervention is appropriate. Any urgent mental health support is accessed via CAMHS are their crisis line on 0800 145 6485.


Supporting Pupil with SEND Resources

Below is an array of useful resources to either gain support and guidance or to deepen your understanding about the needs of SEND children.

RN4tgfjb_400x400.jpg ADHD Foundation is a charity supporting those with neurodiverse conditions such as ADHD, Autism, Dyslexia, Dyspraxia, Dyscalculia and Tourette’s syndrome.  There is advice and information on the website around managing these conditions.
cSrODJ0W.jpg Provides information for children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities such as accessible activities in the community.
Family-Fund.-Website-1281x685.png Family Fund is the UK's largest charity providing grants for families raising disabled or seriously ill children and young people. There are criteria to access this financial support which can be seen on the website.
autism-together-logo-crop-scaled.jpg Offers a wide range of specialist support services to people with autism and their families including parenting courses, advice and training, sibling support groups and activity groups for children with ASC. Families can self-refer to this service.
Screenshot 2021-06-08 at 20.42.47.png ADDvanced Solutions Community Network aims to improve the emotional health and wellbeing of families living with neurodevelopmental conditions, learning difficulties and associated mental health needs. Each week they deliver informal workshops on different subjects to support you and your family at all stages of your journey - pre-, during and post-diagnosis; there’s no need to book, come along and meet families in similar situations to share learning and experiences. Families can self-refer to this service.
positivitree.png The Positivitree works to improve the mental wellbeing of families with children who have additional health or care needs. They offer support and guidance. Families can self-refer for support.

Promotes equality and independence of disadvantaged people. Provides free and impartial advice and support to children with disabilities and SEN need and to their parents.

WIRED Community Matters Early Help can also work alongside families to improve their day to day life and future outcomes in relation to health, well-being and employment. They can undertake an EHAT to identify what support is needed as well as coordinate support families can access.