Complaints Policy

Complaints are very rare at St George's.  When we receive complaints we want to ensure that they are responded to correctly.  Below is the school complaints policy and and a simplified advice leaflet for parents.  

Leaflet on School Complaints

 If you have a concern or complaint

We would like you to tell us about it.  We welcome suggestions for improving our work in the school. Be assured that no matter what you are wanting to tell us, our support and respect for you and your child in the school will not be affected in any way. Please tell us of your concern as soon as possible. It is difficult for us to investigate properly an incident or problem which has happened some time ago.

What to do first

Most concerns can be sorted out quickly by speaking with your child’s class teacher or another key member of staff (office staff, Dragon Club Manager).

In the first instance we ask that all complaints (unless they are about staff conduct or safeguarding) are taken to the class teacher or if the matter is a serious one the complaint should go to the Assistant Head Teacher for that teaching band.  They are:

  • Mrs Binks for EYFS (Nursery and Foundation 2)
  • Mrs Horton for Key Stage One  (Years 1 and 2)
  • Mrs Chambers for Years 3 and 4
  • Mr Nathan for Years 5 and 6

If complaints are regarding school's Special Needs and Disability provision they should be sent to Mrs Sonya Huxley our school's SENDCO.

They can be contacted through Mrs Susan Walters the PA to the school's leadership team.  Mrs Walters can be contacted by phone, main office or by e-mail. E-mail address is

If you are unhappy after this response the complaint can be escalated to the head teacher.  This would be through Mrs Susan Walters the PA to the school's leadership team.  Mrs Walters can be contacted by phone, through the main office or by e-mail.  Her e-mail address is

If you need to meet with a senior member of staff we will ensure that this meeting is professional and we are here to listen.  You can take a friend or relation to the appointment with you if you would like to so that they can support you.

All staff will make every effort to resolve your problem informally. They will make sure that they understand what you feel went wrong, and they will explain their own actions to you. They will ask what you would like the school to do to put things right. Of course, this does not mean that in every case they will come round to your point of view but it will help both you and the school to understand both sides of the question. It may also help to prevent a similar problem arising again.


What to do next

If you are dissatisfied with the teacher’s response (or with the head teacher’s initial reaction if he/she has already been involved) you can make a formal complaint to the head teacher. This should be made in writing or by requesting a meeting. Help with this is available from

Or you can contact Wired who run Wirral’s Parent Partnership Service on 01515227990 if your child has special educational needs and you need support.    

If your complaint is about an action of the head teacher personally, then you should refer it to the Chair of Governors now. You can contact our chair of governors;

Chair of Governors

St George’s Primary School

C/o School Office at St George’s Primary School

or e-mail at:


You may also find it helpful at this stage to have a copy of the full statement of the general complaints policy and procedure as this explains in detail what procedures are followed.  This is available from the school office and is on the school’s website


The Head teacher (or Chair of Governors) will ask to meet you for a discussion of the problem. Again you may take a friend or someone else with you if you wish. The Head teacher (or Chair of Governors) will conduct a full investigation of the complaint and may interview any members of staff or pupils involved. You will receive a verbal or formal written response to your complaint.

If you are still unhappy

The problem will normally be solved by this stage. However, if you are still not satisfied you may wish to contact the Chair of the Governing Body to ask for referral of your complaint to the Complaints Committee of the governing body. It will then be heard by a group of three governors who have no previous knowledge of the problem and so will be able to give it a fresh assessment. You will be invited to attend and speak to the committee at a meeting which the Head teacher will also attend. The General Complaints Procedure statement explains how these meetings operate. 

 Please note governors do not make operational decisions but will ensure that school policies are followed and that our staff's conduct reflects our professional expectations.


Further action

Complaints about school problems are almost always settled within schools but in exceptional cases it may be possible to refer the problem to an outside body. 

If the complainant is unsatisfied with the outcome of the school’s complaints procedure, they can refer their complaint to the School Complaints Unit (SCU), which investigates complaints relating to maintained schools on behalf of the secretary of state.

The SCU will not re-investigate the matter of the complaint. It will look at whether the school’s complaints policy and any other relevant statutory policies that the school holds were adhered to. The SCU also looks at whether the school’s statutory policies adhere to education legislation. It may direct the school to re-investigate the complaint where it is clear the school has acted unlawfully or unreasonably.

For more information or to refer a complaint, see the following webpage:

In rare instances other bodies may be involved.  This could include the Ombudsman (in rare circumstances but particularly in relations to admissions) or the Secretary of State for Education, OFSTED for Early Years issues etc. There is more information on this in the General Complaints Procedure.

 Independent Advice

We acknowledge that making complaints causes difficulties for the complainant.  As part of our commitment to being a listening school, we want them to be able to access information, advice and advocacy.  Therefore we offer support through referrals to;

  • WIRED Parent and Child Advocacy service
  • Citizens Advice Bureau
  • Moria Bridge, Exclusions Advice Officer
  • Wirral Attendance Service
  • Parent Governors (if desired)
  • Pupil Voice Governor

Parents and carers can receive independent advice from both the National Confederation of Parent Teacher Associations and the Advisory Centre for Education,

1c Aberdeen Studios, 22 Highbury Grove, London N5 2DQ. Both organisations may offer advice but will not support individuals in pursuit of a complaint.

If your complaint is regarding the conduct of a Governor or the Governing Body:  Please write to:

Clerk to Governing Body

Private and Confidential Complaint

c/o St George’s Primary School Office

or e-mail on


Files to Download

Nurturing our community to thrive through opportunities, innovation and love

Newsletter Signup